The objective of the Financial Engineering Program (MSFE) is to provide students with exposure to the latest in theory and techniques in the financial markets and apply their knowledge even before graduation with real world projects.
- February 21, 2024
Why Choose Financial Engineering at ILLINOIS?
Financial Engineering at Illinois (MSFE) is a 3-semester STEM-designated Professional Master's Program.
- Financial Engineering is the application of quantitative methods to the analysis of financial markets and financial products.
- The quantitative techniques include: Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Data Analytics.
- Students apply Optimization, Data Science, Neural Networks, Machine Learning and the basic Mathematics in real time with these projects.
- The applications include the search for profitable opportunities as well as deriving solutions to financial problems.
- FE involves the measurement, management, mitigation and transfer of risk.
- The US capital markets are the most dynamic and exciting in the world.
- The derivatives market in Chicago are the most innovative in the world.
- Recent Practicums have been with CME Group, Morgan Stanley, Google, BMO (Harris), Axis Re, Market Axess, CTC, The University of Illinois' Treasury Office, Peak6 and Principal Financial.
- Upcoming Practitioner Seminar Series
- March 4, 2024 10am CST - Joe Gitz & Zishan Cai
- Recent and Upcoming Information Sessions
- November 29, 2023 8am CST
- December 6, 2023 4pm CST
"I think this program is very challenging, but it can give me a strong sense of satisfaction and honor after completing the required task. The courses are generally difficult but very practical."
"The experience of studying in MSFE program gave me an insight into the wonderful and complex world of derivatives. Although this process is not easy, it is worthwhile."
"The MSFE program in UIUC gives me a fantastic experience in finance, statistics and coding. Diverse courses and the practicum project help me better fulfill my career goals."
"Follow our passion in career, extend our imagination in journey and sense our feelings in life."
Financial Analyst Houlihan Lokey, New York
"I had tons of fun at MSFE. I learned a lot from the practicum project and received remarkable help and support from our alumni during my professional journey."
Chicago Trading Company, Chicago
"The program is very well designed keeping present day industry requirements in mind, the best part of the course is the Practicum, where we get to work on real time projects with a firm. The curriculum just makes you industry ready!"
DV Trading, Chicago
"Going to school after working for a while can be tough and boring if the program delves into lots of theory. Well, at UIUC it wasn't like that. In fact, in this program I found a good balance between theory and practical implementation in many of the courses I enrolled. I would say the program was challenging, which makes it exciting from my point of view, and that was probably the driving force that keep me working on it the entire course. This wouldn't have been possible without the encouragement that professors gave me with their commitment to learning and growth of my class"
"From studying with colleagues, spending the night at the hotel after attending an elective in Chicago, or enjoying a tour in New York after a career fair, the program provides a lot of opportunities to bond with fellow students and develop long lasting relationships."
Strategy&, New York
"MSFE is a tough and challenging program, there's no doubt about it. But in such a community, where you're surrounded by other talented and passionate hard-working individuals, there are numerous opportunities to learn and grow. The program incorporates a congruous blend of business and engineering courses, besides constantly giving you the chance to make powerful and meaningful professional contacts. Being around people from different cultures and backgrounds has been an enlightening experience in many ways, and I've made some amazing friends here. There is also never a dull moment in this university, which, while being one of the best academic institutions in the country, also gives you one of the best social experiences. I'm glad I attended this program, and would especially recommend it to anybody interested in pursuing a career in the FinTech world!"
Pelmorex Corp, Toronto
Rankings and Affiliations