Given the MSFE program’s technical emphasis, most students typically will have completed a bachelor’s degree in an engineering field, mathematics, computer science, actuarial science, or economics.
- Bachelor’s degree, or bachelor equivalent, typically in an engineering field, mathematics, physics, computer science, or economics
- 1 year of Calculus
- 1 semester of Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
- 1 semester of Probability and Statistics
- 1 semester of Programming (preferably in C/C++)
- GRE or GMAT
- TOEFL or IELTS for students with a degree from a non-English speaking institution
- Knowledge of basic finance is helpful but not required
- Minimum grade point average:
- Undergraduate: 3.25 (A=4.00) for last 60 hours of study
- Graduate: 3.50 for any previous graduate work completed
- Applicants whose degree is not from an institution where English is the official language are required to provide one of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 103 (iBT), 257 (CBT), or 613 (PBT)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) overall score of at least 7.0 with at least a 6.0 in all subsections
Paper documents (including financial documents) are required only after admission.
Please see the University of Illinois Graduate College's website for more detailed admission information for international applicants.