International Students


International students (F-1) may want to consider applying for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT allows F-1 students temporary off-campus employment.

Such employment must be directly related to a student's major field of study and an integral or important part of the program of study. Training which is required by the degree program always meets the requirements for CPT, regardless of whether or not academic credit is received for the work. Training which is not required by the degree program may meet the requirements if the student registers for a class with a formal work component as listed in the Programs of Study catalogue, or for thesis if the employment is directly related to the thesis topic or area or research. CPT is authorized by ISSS upon receipt of the proper application materials, outlined below.

Students must contact the MSFE, ISSS and Engineering Career Services prior to applying.

Click here to learn more details


International students (F-1) may want to consider applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT allows you to work one year after completion of studies. Graduate students may apply for OPT after finishing all coursework. Employment should directly relate to your field of study and correspond with your educational level. No job offer is needed to apply. However, OPT applicants are only allowed a total of 90 days unemployment during their initial 12 month OPT allocation

The MS Financial Engineering Degree from UIUC is considered part of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field. Thus, you may be eligible for a one-time 24-month extension of post-completion OPT. The 24-month Stem Extension OPT is adjudicated (approved) by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Apply for OPT visit